This morning, I was listening to John Lennon's song "Imagine." (My hippie side is rather fond of his music.) The words are quite utopian, yes, but what a dream! "Imagine there's no countries ... nothing to kill or die for; and no religion too ... Imagine all the people living life in peace." Yes, you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one! That got me thinking about why so many people have this deep desire inside. Why do we desire peace and unity, but are so unable to attain it?
That is how God intended the world to be! He designed us to be in perfect relationship with Him and each other. We were designed to live on a perfect Earth in constant community with each other and God. But, because we chose to sin against God; because we chose to go our own way, we are unable to attain that perfection. We suffer through hurt, war, poverty, famine, disasters because of the sin that has entered the world. Yet, the desire for peace is still there.
I live in a place where poverty is everywhere. Just today a lady with a sick baby came to my door asking for a little bit of money to pay for a moto to take her to the hospital. I gave her the equivalent of $1 (a little more than the price of the moto ride) and she was so grateful. It breaks my heart to see people suffering. I mean, I have physical pain inside when I see small children playing with trash and cripples begging in the street. I can't stand it! It breaks my heart that I can't help every single one ... I would if I could! It is that God-given, deep desire for peace and harmony in the world that drives these feelings.
So, "imagine no possessions ... no need for greed or hunger ... imagine all the people, sharing all the world."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Beautifully stated Holly...they just need more of you over there to help
Post a Comment