Acts 2:46-47 -- "Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved."
I read this Scripture a few days ago and I was reminded of it today. I had an amazing day today. We went to this REALLY nice pool for one of my kid's 7th birthday and several other missionary families were there. It was such a sweet time of fellowship and fun! I was sitting out of the pool, enjoying my Sudoku, when I just took some time to look around me. I was overwhelmed with this feeling of joy and peace. It has been a few months since I've had Christian fellowship like that with a large group of people. I don't get it once a week when I go to church. Yes, I have AWESOME team mates that I fellowship with at least twice a week, but there is just something special about many Christians coming together just to enjoy each other's company. No, we didn't meet in the "temple courts." Yes, we broke birthday cake instead of bread. But we ate together with glad and sincere hearts and we praised God with our fellowship.
Tricia and I were talking on the hour long ride home about things we miss in the States. Yes, the typical things popped up - wearing makeup daily, straight hair, cute clothes, being clean. One thing I didn't mention was what I experienced today - regular Christian fellowship. I miss Sunday mornings, Wednesday nights, and just getting together with friends for no reason at all but to be together. It saddens me that we as a mission aren't able to get together more often. Funds are low and many of our meetings have been cut. Not only were these meetings, but they were also times of fellowship and refreshment for us. We live in dry places - both physically and spiritually. We live in places where burn-out can happen so quickly. We live in places where discouragement can really take hold and bring you down. We need these special and dear times to refresh and reinvigorate us. God did not create us to live alone! He created us for beautiful, joyful fellowship together!
Plus, a pool never hurts! ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The world will know we are Christians by our love. :)
One of my favorite things about being a Christian is that automatic bond you have with someone you've never met because you both love Jesus. I didn't really know the other families today, but we were family.
I totally agree about missing the regular worship and hanging out with large numbers of Christians. Maybe we have to go to Africa to appreciate things. And hey, if nothing else, heaven will be one big awesome fellowship party!
Post a Comment