Sunday, January 11, 2009

Home sweet home

Now that I'm settled in and finally have some down time, I'm able to write and catch you up on everything! Liz and I arrived in our village Thursday. It really is such a nice little village; we even have paved roads! Actually, the road all the way from Dakar to here was paved! The big difference is the amount and type of traffic on the roads. When I cross the street, I don't look both ways to dodge a bus or car, but a horse-cart or donkey-cart. And if I decide that it is too hot for me to walk to the market, I can just hop on one of these carts and pay next to nothing for the ride!


It is very dry and dusty here. When I got into my house, a layer of dust about 1/2 inch thick was on everything! We finally got it all lifted, only, to my dismay, to find another layer on everything this morning. Housecleaning is a full-time job here! Here is a picture of the outside of my house:


And no, there really is no grass. If you find grass, you have found a treasure! The sand is everywhere, and of course, walking without getting sand all over you is impossible. I don't have a dryer, so I let the hot, African sun do it's job. It is really dry, so everything dries really quickly.
Life here can be tough, but the people are so friendly. They love to greet you and have you greet them. I have learned how to say "I'm learning Wolof" in Wolof, so now, when I go to buy my bread and the sweet young lady who barely speaks any French tries to speak Wolof, I can tell her that! She can get quite a laugh out of me butchering her language!
I've learned to be happy with what I have. Yes, my washing machine is a bigger spaz than I am (and a better dancer, I might add), but at least I have a washing machine that works. No, I don't have a shower curtain or the capabilities to put one up, but at least I have running water and a shower that works. Yes, dust gets EVERYWHERE, but that is easily cleaned up. I have enjoyed getting to know people so far and I am really enjoying the hospitality of the village. The Sereer are very loving and welcoming people. I cannot wait to see what God has in store for me here!

3 comments:

Valerie said...

You are amazing!! I so admire you and your positive outlook on everything- what an adventure! Please post as often as you can!

Jackie said...

Hahahaha I love that your washer is a better dancer!!! Your house is adorable!

Roy Thagard said...

fun stories! was gonna give you an idea. You could make your own shower curtain rod since the concrete walls are really soft. Here's what you'll need: a 1/2 inch rod that you can buy from any hardware store. Then go to a welder to weld a metal bracket on the ends. Put holes in the bracket-top and bottom-so you can put screws through it. Then you can bend the rod so that it makes a nice shower curtain and put it in. It will certainly help. This is what I had to do in my house. I can post you pictures if you need more directions so you can see for yourself.

I'll enjoy keeping up with your journey. Best of luck this week as you start teaching!