Friday, January 16, 2009

2 weeks in Senegal

I have decided to sum up my time here so far in as few words as possible - but it might take a while!

Crazy Dakar taxi drivers, fruit sellers directing traffic (and really not doing a good job - I mean, they're fruit sellers), nearly running over people walking and moto drivers, nearly running me over, dirt in the Chacos all the time, wind so strong it'll knock you over, Harmattan dust haze, lizards pooping on my kitchen counter, loosing electricity three days in a row, mosquito nets, trying to light my gas oven, successfully lighting my gas oven and baking my first banana bread, "Dema jang Wolof.", "No, I can't marry you. You'll have to talk to my father in America and he'll say no." "Yes, I know you have a house and a good job as a mechanic, but I still can't marry you.", riding on horse carts to the market, looking at fish in the market, cleaning fish after the market, turning down another marriage proposal in the fish market, walking 2 miles to pay my electric bill, listening to my washing machine dance around for two hours, wishing they would put the goat next door out of it's misery, ... oh the list goes on and on.

In all, I have really been enjoying being here. I survived culture shock and now feel at home. I'm heading to Dakar for two weeks to begin my Wolof language learning. I can't wait to be able to really communicate with the people. Please pray for Liz and I as we begin.

3 comments:

David Pope said...

Marriage proposals, huh? Well, you are a J-girl! Tell them you would have to find another sending agency. Hang in there. We're praying for you.

Unknown said...

It sounds like you are doing very well. I'm proud of you.
"Miss" Anna Lee

Jackie said...

"You'll have to ask my father in America and he'll say 'no'." I think this is one of the funniest things I have ever heard you say (write)! This should definitely be the next thing you learn in Wolof!