Now that I am here in Fatick for a while (I just got back from three days in Dakar), I have decided that Saturday is my shopping day. The ladies in the market only sell vegetables in the mornings, so Saturday is the only day I can get out since I teach school during the week. Today, I was actually able to get a horse cart to town ... both ways! I do prefer riding on a horse cart to walking because it's really starting to get hot. It's almost impossible to get out from 1:00 to about 5:00 because it's soooo hot!
A donkey cart (similar to the horse carts)
The horse carts are great, but it's a bumpy ride! (They only cost about 25 cents, so I really don't mind the sore bottom!) My main reason for riding horse carts is to meet people. Right now, because my Wolof language skills are so limited, I can only do the basics. But the more I listen, the better I get. I'm able to understand a lot more than I can speak. I can pick out individual words and get a basic meaning in sentences. My responses are usually head nods or hand motions. It's hard for me not to rely on my French skills. If I have to communicate something, I'll do it in French. But for the sake of learning Wolof, I try to communicate as much as possible in Wolof.
The kids love it when you take their picture and then show it to them on the camera!
School is in full-swing! The kids are getting used to the new routine and I'm learning the homeschooling ropes. (It's nice only having four students!) At their house, they have a trampoline, swings, and all kinds of other fun games. They have also become the local hangout for all the kids. It's not unusual to see 40 kids inside and outside their gate! I was able to take some really cute pictures yesterday.
Sweet!
Be praying for the Sereer-Sine team. We are having a small group of volunteers come at the end of this week, so we are busy preparing for them. They will be helping with our Operation Christmas Child distributions and with some research and prayer walking in the Sereer-Sine area. Pray for their safe travel and for the kids who will be receiving the boxes (we'll be giving a gospel presentation also). Pray that God will use us for His glory!
Relaxing on a hot Friday afternoon!
1 comment:
Really beautiful posting!!!
Happy Day!!!!
Post a Comment